Norway, “Annerledeslandet” a different place …
New day, new opportunities!
In this article I will speak freely,
hopefully to sharp for somebody, and if the text makes your eyebrows rise I do
not mind.
From years of working abroad, as a Norwegian
this gives you a unique opportunity to observe your home country from the
outside. Make no mistake, I’m quite proud of being a Norwegian, however I have
to admit we are somewhat peculiar, even strange.
Rather small population, abt. 5.25
millions. - What I consider more similar a
local neighborhood in any metropolis such as New York, London, Tokyo,
Shanghai, Mexico City etc.
Yet a part of
us (Norwegians) view ourselves as “master-of-the
universe”, “I know best”, “think they are egalitarian, but truly individualists”.
-
Norway and Norwegians do think highly of
themselves!
This annoys me,
because we are perceived as bragging and
arrogant to others. If one walks into a bar or pub abroad, and by accident
some Norwegians should be there as well, - bet your arse they will be noticed,
probably rule the area.
If one views
this from national or international politics
standpoint, Norwegians will strive to get what they perceive as
international positions, let’s say within some United Nations org., NATO
(current Secretary General), peace negotiators ( e.g. middle east), and so forth
… In other words, - we go for power!
With regard to
climate, we are practicing double-standards, and love to brag on how well we are doing.

On top of
all the Swedes (Alfred Nobel) handed to us to manage and issue The Nobel Peace Prize
every year. Ooooh we are most peace-loving nation in the world. It gives us the
right to decide what is the correct form of peace in any given year, Hallelujah.
In some way I believe
this esteems from a feeling of inferiority, especially with regard to the other
Scandinavian countries (Sweden & Denmark), witch to a larger degree are “continental”,
and with larger populations.
I believe we
were more humble before. Something has
happened over the years. Partly because
we are been stinking rich, read oil, - and we never leave an opportunity to tell
others.
Now we tend to be obnoxious and to full-of-ourselves!
(This article
will be published in Norwegian language within short.)
To be continued
…


Comments
Post a Comment